5 Things You Need to Know Today: August 16
Farmers Market opens at 2 p.m., storytime at 10:30 a.m. and an Olympic champ in Burlington.
1. Don't let the morning rain and thunder get you down; the forecast is for a partly-sunny afternoon for Market Day in Belmont. Open from 2 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. behind Macy's in Belmont Center, the Farmers Market will have visiting vendors Westport Rivers Vineyard and Winery, Turkey Brook Farm (poultry), Pat-O's Pickles, Buttergirl Baking and Soluna Garden Farm (herbs & teas) along with the regular folks. And stick around for the Powers Music School 6 & 7 year old cello students who will be entertaining today.
2. The Children's Room librarians will be holding a Storytime hour with stories, songs, and a craft. It will take place in the downstairs Assembly Room of the Belmont Public Library at 10:30 a.m.
3. Drop-in Vinyasa-style yoga classes, taught by professional instructors, will be held this evening at 7 p.m. at the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St. All levels welcome. Please bring your own mat. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard, and in the Claflin Street Parking Lot behind Belmont Center. The positioning will take place in Gardner Hall, at the back of the church – enter the hall from Alexander Street entrance. $10 for the session. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
4. Friends and fans of US gold-medal gymnast Aly Raisman may want to show up in Burlington this morning. There is a welcome home rally for the Needham resident at Brestyan’s American Gymnastics Club, 13 Ray Avenue. Aly is scheduled to show up 11-11:30 a.m. If you can't be there in-person, check Burlington Patch for live-blogging coverage, video and photos.
5. On this day in 1977, "The King" Elvis Presley, American icon, died in Memphis.