5 Things You Need to Know Today: August 21
Benton get-together, tea on the patio and PJs at the library tonight.
1. The Beech Street Center brings a bit of England to Belmont with Tea and Games on the Center's Patio at 2:30 p.m. Sit back and relax in the shade of the umbrellas on our patio and enjoy special refreshments. Chat, play games, have a glass of tea and just enjoy the afternoon. No reservations needed.
2. Calling all Moms, Dads, grandparents, caregivers and kids! Come meet other families in the community at the Benton Library's Tuesday Morning Connection Time at 10 a.m. The town's all volunteer library, the Benton Library opens every Tuesday morning at 10 am.
3. This is your final chance to wear your pj's to the library! The Belmont Public Library's Jane Gray Dustan Children's Room is open until 8 p.m. on Tuesdays this summer so why not take advantage of the extended hours to have a pajama story hour beginning at 7 p.m. in the library's Flett Room – that's across the hall from the Children's Room. The stories are recommended for three years old and up. Wear your pajamas and bring a favorite stuffed friend!
4. Got something to say about the town and how its run? Just want some answer to your questions? The Board of Selectmen will be meeting tonight at 7 p.m. and as usual, citizens can discuss their concerns or quiries with Selectmen before the meeting and formally at the beginning of the meeting at Town Hall.
5. On this day in 1959, the 50th star was placed in the flag of the US when President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed an executive order proclaiming Hawaii the 50th state of the union.