5 Things You Need to Know Today: August 3
Summer hours at the Benton, taking a walk and library closes sooner.
1. Once a month, on the first Friday of the month, the Benton Library stays open late, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Borrow some of the New York Times best sellers, use the library's Wi-Fi or just stop by to visit.
2. Beech Street Center Friday morning walks at 9:30 a.m. have resume. Join a friendly group of people for a gentle walk around the neighborhood.
3. The Belmont Public Library closes at 5 p.m. today and open on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. It is closed on Sundays.
4. Life's A Bead at 404 Trapelo Rd. offers a great opportunity for anyone who's interested in getting started in beading. At 11:30 a.m., the store is offering a free beginner beader class. Learn the difference between different beads, stringing materials, findings, etc. And of course, learn how to crimp.
5. On this day in 1936, Jesse Owens wins the 100 meter dash, defeating Ralph Metcalfe, at the Berlin Olympics.