5 Things You Need to Know Today: August 30
Farmers Market today, Library closed all weekend and yoga at the Plymouth.
1. Belmont's Farmers Market – which runs from 2 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., behind Macy's in Belmont Center – will have periodic vendors Nutting Farm (maple), Wild Acre Inns (plants, greens), Something Sweet Without Wheat (gluten-free), ButterGirl Baking Co (cookies, brownies), Soluna Garden Farm (teas, herbs), and Belmont's own Janique's Delicious Madeleines which was featured in the Boston Globe! From 5:30 p.m. until closing, the Mystic String Quartet returns to the market with Karen Allendoerfer (violin), Marianne Brown (violins), Benjamin Miller (viola) and Sandy Reismann (cello) playing selections from Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and other light classical fare.
2. Here is a head's up: The Belmont Public Library will be closed from Saturday, Sept. 1 through Monday, Sept. 3 for Labor Day. Please remember to pick up any museum passes byFriday at 5 pm. The library will be open from 9am to 5pm on Saturdays starting Sept. 7th.
3. Drop-in Vinyasa-style yoga classes, taught by professional instructors, will be held this evening at 7 p.m. at the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St. All levels welcome. Please bring your own mat. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard, and in the Claflin Street Parking Lot behind Belmont Center. The positioning will take place in Gardner Hall, at the back of the church – enter the hall from Alexander Street entrance. $10 for the session. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
4. It's the final day to enter the All Grades Summer Reading Contest at the Benton Library. Complete your reading lists and and return them to the Benton – at the corner of Old Middlesex and Oakley – by today, Thursday, Aug. 30, between 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Lists may be given to the librarian or put it through the slot in the front door. The person in each grade who has read the most books will receive a prize.
5. On this day in 1918, Ted Williams – Teddy Ballgame – was born in San Diego.