5 Things You Need to Know Today: August 8
Payson Park swings, the library has SoundScience and the Benton Library book group.
1. If you enjoy swing, jazz and Sinatra, come down to this evening's performance of The John Baboian Quartet with special guest vocalist Steve Marvin at the Payson Park Music Festival beginning at 6:30-ish at the Payson Park playground.
2. SoundScience Fun!, which will be at the Belmont Public Library's Assembly Room at 2 p.m., at is an interactive sing along performance designed to explore the science of sound through the magic of music. For kids 4 and up.
3. The Benton Library's Book Group's monthly get together will be discussing “Enormous Changes at the Last Minute,” by Grace Paley. Newcomers are encouraged to come even if they have not read the book. Starts at 4 p.m.
4. Duplicate Bridge Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Beech Street Center at 266 Beech St. Every Wednesday the club holds American Contact Bridge League-sanctioned games. All are welcome to play. Cost is $5. Phone: 339-223-6484 for more information.
5. On this day in 1969, at a crosswalk in London, photographer Iain Macmillan takes the photo of the Beatles walking across Abbey Road that becomes the cover of the Beatles album Abbey Road, one of the most famous album covers in recording history.