5 Things You Need to Know Today: Dec. 1
Holiday starts today, author Meg Muckenhoupt at the library and the honors concert at Chenery.
1. Santa Claus really is coming to town. The 21st annual Holiday Celebration/Tree Lighting Ceremony will take place in Belmont Center from 5:45 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. And Ol' Saint Nick will be entering Belmont on top of a Belmont Fire Department engine at 6:30 p.m. before heading to Belmont Savings Bank to have his picture taken with kids and parents.
2. The Friends of the Belmont Public Library invites residents to join Belmont author Meg Muckenhoupt as she travels throught the verdant world of her new book, "Boston’s Gardens & Green Spaces." The lecture – part of the FBPL's Author Series – examines the role of public spaces throughout Boston’s historic and contemporary landscape: why they look the way they do, why they were built. The lecture will take place at 7:30 p.m. in the Assembly Room of the Boston Public Library.
3. The Chenery Middle School Honors Ensemble Concert takes place at 7 p.m. at the Chenery Middle School's auditorium.
4. Drop-in Vinyasa-style yoga classes, taught by professional instructors, will be held this evening at 7 p.m. at the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St. All levels welcome. Please bring your own mat. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard, and in the Claflin Street Parking Lot behind Belmont Cener. The positioning will take place in Gardner Hall, at the back of the church – enter the hall from Alexander Street entrance. $10 for the session. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
5. Infant Lapsit Storytime is for infants and pre-walkers where they can enjoy songs, finger plays, and rhymes chosen especially for the youngest patrons of the Belmont Public Library. From 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. in the Flett Room.