5 Things You Need to Know Today: December 20
Talkin' Tchaikovsky at the Beech, final days for the holiday arts sale and yoga.
1. Belmont Festival Orchestra Musical Director and Conductor Nathaniel Meyer will be giving a pre-concert talk on one of Tchaikovsky’s most beloved works, his 5th Symphony, at 1 p.m. at the Beech Street Center. Meyer and the Belmont Festival Orchestra will be presenting the work on Saturday, Dec. 29 at 2 p.m. at a free concert open to the public. There is also a free dress rehearsal on Friday, Dec. 28 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Come get the inside scoop on the music and how to perform it … or just plain enjoy it!
2. It's the final three days of the Belmont Gallery of Art's annual Small Works Holiday Show and Sale on the third floor of the Homer Building in the Town Hall complex. With all works priced below $200, the show gives shoppers the opportunity to purchase an original piece of art for themselves or as a gift while supporting local artists. All work presented in the show is available for sale when you buy them. The gallery is open today and tomorrow, Friday, Dec. 21 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. as well as Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
3. The monthly book discussion group for Chenery Middle School fifth and sixth graders will be held from 3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Flett Room of Belmont Public Library.
4. Yoga tonight in Gardiner Hall at Plymouth Congregational Church at 582 Pleasant St. at 7 p.m. (Enter on Alexander Street). Taught by professionals in the Vinyasa style. Bring your own mat. All levels welcome. $10 per class. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
5. Today is the final day of autumn (or fall). Only three months until spring.