5 Things You Need to Know Today: February 13 (Ash Wednesday)
Girls' Hoops take on the best team in the state, hot chocolate for Chenery kids and yoga.
1. There's only one place to be this afternoon and that's the Wenner Field House as the tournament-bound Belmont High School Girls Basketball team plays host to the top team in eastern Massachusetts, league opponant and undefeated Reading High School which is led by the state's top-player Olivia Healy. Belmont's penultimate game of the regular season takes place at 5:30 p.m.
2. Chenery Middle School students: It's early release Wednesday so you have some time to spend before you go home. So head over to the Assembly Room of the Belmont Public Library from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m., bring your homework and warm up with free hot chocolate while you study there. This is for fifth through eighth graders only. No sign-up required, just show up.
3. Storytime for 1's will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Belmont Public Library's Flett Room across from the Children's Room. The program shares simple stories, songs, finger plays, nursery rhymes and puppets for walkers and toddlers under 24 months.
4. Drop-in yoga classes, taught by professional instructors in the Vinyasa style – flowing with the breath – will be held in Gardner Hall (enter via Alexander Street) of the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St., beginning at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Bring your own mat. Childcare is available for $6 per child with a $12 family maximum. There is also free parking on Pleasant and Leonard streets and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit the Plymouth Nursery School.
5. Duplicate Bridge Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Beech Street Center at 266 Beech St. Every Wednesday the club holds American Contact Bridge League-sanctioned games. All are welcome to play. Cost is $5. Phone: 339-223-6484 for more information.