5 Things You Need to Know Today: January 16
Discuss a plague of birds at the library, hockey at 7 p.m. and story time for the youngest.
1. The Belmont Book Discussion Group will focus on "The Plague of Doves," by Louise Erdrich at 3 p.m. in the Fleet Room of the Belmont Public Library. Everyone is welcome to attend. Copies can be requested through the library catalog at its website or call the library's Reference staff for assistance at 617-993-2870.
3. The Belmont High School Boys' Ice Hockey squad plays host to Wilmington High School at 7 p.m. in the Viglirolo Skating Rink at Belmont High School.
4. Storytime for 1's will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Belmont Public Library's Flett Room across from the Children's Room. The program shares simple stories, songs, finger plays, nursery rhymes and puppets for walkers and toddlers under 24 months.
4. Drop-in yoga classes, taught by professional instructors in the Vinyasa style – flowing with the breath – will be held in Gardner Hall (enter via Alexander Street) of the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St., beginning at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Bring your own mat. Childcare is available for $6 per child with a $12 family maximum. There is also free parking on Pleasant and Leonard streets and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit the Plymouth Nursery School.
5. Duplicate Bridge Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Beech Street Center at 266 Beech St. Every Wednesday the club holds American Contact Bridge League-sanctioned games. All are welcome to play. Cost is $5. Phone: 339-223-6484 for more information.