5 Things You Need to Know Today: January 25
Powers Music concert at the Beech, an opening at the BGA, Hoops at the Wenner.
1. Powers Music School and Leader Bank presents a free faculty concert at the Beech Street Center as part of its Neighborhood Concert Series. "Rhythm and Keys," features Powers faculty member Susanna Fiore, piano and percussion; with guest artist Elsa Lichman, percussion and vocals. Performance material includes a fusion of traditional West African, calypso, and American music at 1 p.m. at the Beech Street Center. RSVP please at 617-993-2970 .
2. The opening reception of "New/Old Group," a photography exhibit featuring the work of artists Elaine Fisher, Eric Myrvaagnes and A. David Wunsch takes place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Belmont Gallery of Art on the third floor of the Homer Building in the Town Hall Complex.
3. Baby Signing with Rebekah Hand will be held in Belmont Public Library's Flett Room (across from the Children's Room) beginning at 10:30 a.m. Sign-up is required for this children's program so please stop by the Children's Room or call 617-993-2880 to sign up.
4. Belmont High Boys' Basketball takes on Melrose High at the warm confines of Wenner Field House at Belmont High School. Make it a comfortable night by renting sofas for a donation to the Belmont Solar Car Club; you get a pizza and water for two and the best seats in the house.
5. Yoga, taught by professional instructors, is being held this morning from 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. at the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St, in Gardiner Hall, at the back of the church. $10. All levels welcome just bring your own mat if you can. $6 per child for child care. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.