5 Things You Need to Know Today: January 31
Hear about a new pool, head over to a pool and last day for teen tech assistance.
1. Belmont's Department of Public Works and its consultant, Bargmann, Hendrie + Arohetype are hosting a public meeting on the future of the Underwood Pool and Playground at 7 p.m. in the Belmont Public Library's Assembly Room. The purpose of the meeting is to provide an overview of the process including timelines for the development of a "Feasibility and Preliminary Design Study of Recreational Facilities" at the existing Underwood Park site, as well as to receive initial public comment.
2. Speaking of pools: The Fernald Pool in Waltham is open to Beech Street Center participants free of charge on Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. The pool's water temperature is 92 degrees. Transportation is available to Belmont residents/Center participants 60 years old or older. For more information, call the center at 617-993-2970.
3. Is your smart phone out-smarting you? Facebook taking too much face time? If you are in need of technical help with computers, mobile devices and social media, you have one final opportunity to be helped by Belmont High School's Teen Techs – the town's own Geek Squad. Today is the final day the teens can help Belmont Public Library patrons with e-readers, downloading from the digital catalog, basic Internet help, social media and any other weirdness you encounter.
Teen Tech Tutor sessions are available today only from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sign-up is required, and space is limited. Register on-line for the date and time preferred, or call the reference desk at 617-993-2870.
4. Yoga tonight in Gardiner Hall at Plymouth Congregational Church at 582 Pleasant St. at 7 p.m. (Enter on Alexander Street). Taught by professionals in the Vinyasa style. Bring your own mat. All levels welcome. $10 per class. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
5. Infant Lapsit Storytime is for infants and pre-walkers where they can enjoy songs, finger plays, and rhymes chosen especially for the littlest patrons of the Belmont Public Library. From 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. in the Flett Room.