5 Things You Need to Know Today: March 30
After hours party at the Library, Gallery showing and yoga, toddler's connecting and beads.
1. The Friends of Belmont Public Library are going to be a lot friendlier tonight as they host a Library After Hours Party with music, complimentary appetizers and desserts, and a cash bar from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the main floor of the Belmont Public Library. The event is free but donations will be gratefully accepted. The live music will include Sandy Martha Kiefer on cello and Brian Clague on violin performing classical selections from Beethoven and Handel during the first hour, followed by Susanna Fiore on piano and Jay Girill on double bass in the second hour with jazz standards and the occational bossa nova.
2. The Belmont Gallery of Art is now showing "Memories of Egypt," a collection includes abstract figurative paintings, monotypes and collages by Muriel Angelil. All are informed by her childhood experiences growing up in Alexandria, Egypt and are both autobiographical as well as observant of the environment in which she was raised. From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Gallery located on the top floor of the Homer Building in the Town Hall complex.
2. Drop-in on a Vinyasa-style yoga class, taught by professional instructors, at the Plymouth Congregational Church, at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Please bring your own mat. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard and in the Claflin Street Parking Lot behind Belmont Center. The positioning will take place in Gardner Hall, at the back of the church – enter the hall from Alexander Street entrance. $10 for the session. Childcare is available for $6 per child. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
3. Playtime, a drop-in, informal playgroup for toddlers and preschoolers, where both children and adults can meet new friends, will take place in the Flett Room across from the Children's Room in the Belmont Public Library beginning at 10:30 a.m. Call the Children's Room at 617-993-2880 with any questions.
4. Life's A Bead at 404 Trapelo Rd. is now offers a great opportunity for anyone who's interested in getting started in beading. Today at 11:30 a.m., the store is offering a free beginner beader class. Learn the difference between different beads, stringing materials, findings, etc. And of course, learn how to crimp.