5 Things You Need to Know Today: March 5
Q&A for the kids doctor, acting! at the Beech and story time everywhere.
1. If you are a new – or even a not-so-new – parent that has a million questions about your baby and their development, come to Paprika Kids, 404 Trapelo Rd at 7 p.m. for a Q&A and informative session with Sandy Stephens, MD, a pediatrician from Belmont with more than 20 years experience, will be addressing all your questions and concerns. All questions are welcomed. Hors d’oeuvres and drinks will be served. Special discounts.
2. Come to the Beech Street Center at 1:15 p.m. and enjoy Cambridge-native Stephen Collins, a critically-acclaimed actor (and former salesman!) performing monologues and may even sing a Cole Porter and George Gershwin tune in his one-man show "In the Theater of the 1930s, 1940s, & 1950s." Discover the influence of and reaction to the Great Depression via William Saroyan; examine dysfunctional families and the American Dream gone awry from the viewpoint of Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller and Eugene O'Neil and N. Richard Nash's play "The Rainmaker" in which Starbuck charms audiences with his brand of con and hucksterism.
3. Storytime at the Benton Library begins at 10:30 a.m. There will be word plays, stories and activities for children ages 2 years, 9 months to 5 years. Parents or caregivers must be present for the entire session. Younger siblings may attend with their parents. The library will be open today from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
4. It's Storytime at the Belmont Public Library: Story time for 2's and 3's, songs and movement are part of the story time experience for children ages 2 and 3, will be held at the Belmont Public Library's Children's Room. The fun begins at 9:30 a.m. and then again (for you late risers) from 10:30 a.m. Storycraft for 4's, 5's, and 6's will be held at 3:15 p.m.
5. Drop-in yoga classes, taught by professional instructors in the Vinyasa style – flowing with the breath – will be held in Gardner Hall (enter via Alexander Street) of the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St., beginning at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Bring your own mat. Childcare is available for $6 per child with a $12 family maximum. There is also free parking on Pleasant and Leonard streets and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit the Plymouth Nursery School.