5 Things You Need to Know Today: March 9
Brown bagging it with Paul Solomon, the Joy Luck Club and Barbie turns 53 today.
1. The Belmont League of Women Voters is holding a Brown Bag Lunch with former Selectman Paul Solomon who will discuss ideas for projects that might be funded with Community Preservation Act funds. Bring a sandwich; beverages and dessert will be provided. The one-hour lunch will take place in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library beginning at noon.
2. The Senior Book Discussion Group will meet at 11 a.m. at the Beech Street Center to discuss this month's book, "The Joy Luck Club" by Amy Tan.
3. Drop-in on a brand new Vinyasa-style yoga class, taught by professional instructors, at the Plymouth Congregational Church, at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Please bring your own mat. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard and in the Claflin Street Parking Lot behind Belmont Center. The positioning will take place in Gardner Hall, at the back of the church – enter the hall from Alexander Street entrance. $10 for the session. Childcare is available for $6 per child. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
4. Playtime, a drop-in, informal playgroup for toddlers and preschoolers, where both children and adults can meet new friends. Beginning at 10:30 a.m. in the Children's Room of the Belmont Public Library. Call the Children's Room at 617-993-2880 with any questions.
5. Happy Birthday, Barbie. The iconic doll made her debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York on this day in 1959.