5 Things You Need To Know Today: May 8
Teachers Appreciation Day, author Caroline Preston at the library and dog stories.
1. Today is National Teacher Appreciation Day. Go give them a big nice hug for all what they do.
2. They've been busy these past six months so the Belmont League of Women Voters will have a lot to say at its Board Meeting being held tonight at 7 p.m. at the Belmont Public Library's Flett Room. League members and the general public are welcome to attend this Board meeting.
The Belmont LWV sponsors educational forums and events throughout the year and provides published materials for its members and the Belmont community. The Belmont LWV invites you to visit their website at belmont.ma.lwvnet.org for further information. The Belmont League of Women Voters welcomes all to join their membership.
3. Author Caroline Preston will speak about her book, "The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in Pictures," tonight in the downstairs Assembly Room at the Belmont Public Library. In her novel, Preston has drawn from her own collection of vintage ephemera to create a novel in the unique form of a scrapbook. (Read NPR's review of the novel.) Preston is also the author of "Jackie by Josie," a New York Times Notable Book of the Year, and "Gatsby's Girl," the story of F. Scott Fitzgerald's first girlfriend who was the model for Daisy Buchanan. All are welcome to attend this free program. Books will be available for sale and signing. Sponsored by the Friends of the Belmont Public Library.
4. Do your kids love dogs? Then take them to hear Debbie Hartman's Dog Stories, a wonderful program for children, in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library beginning at 3:15 p.m.
5. The Benton Library, Belmont's independent and volunteer run library, will be holding its Pre-school Story Time at 10:30 a.m. which concentrates on the interests of children ages three, four and five. New visitors are welcome. Sign up is not required. Parents and/or caregivers must be present.