5 Things You Need to Know Today: New Year's Eve
Go out, stay in, it's New Year's Eve.
1. Town offices will be open today for your end-of-the-year bill paying or, if you have all your paperwork in order, you can get married at the Town Clerk's Office and take the "we're married" tax deduction for 2012.
2. The Belmont Public Library will be open but will be closing early so if you are looking for a movie or book for tonight or New Years, you have until 5 p.m.
3. Want a bit of entertainment tonight and stay in town? Over at the Studio Cinema on 376 Trapelo Rd., Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" is playing with Daniel Day-Lewis starring as the 16th President. I hear it's a very good film, but it's not "Les Miserables" which will leave you weeping like a child. At 1 p.m., 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.
4. The Beech Street Center is open today until 5 p.m.
5. With the "fiscal cliff" looming and taxes about the rise, on this day back in 1695, Parliament imposed a window tax in England to solve a deficit but only to result in many householders to brick up windows to avoid the tax.