5 Things You Need to Know Today: November 20
Thanksgiving Day football tickets, growing up in Belmont and story time is at the Benton.
1. The presale of tickets to the Belmont v. Watertown football game on Thanksgiving at 10:15 a.m. Thanksgiving morning on Belmont's Harris Field is now underway for students at the School Store located in the Belmont High School Cafe until 10 a.m. tomorrow, Nov. 21. If you're lucky to know a 9th to 12th grader, adult ticket prices are $6 for adults and $4 for students. Otherwise, you'll be paying $8 at the gate.
2. Viktoria Haase of the Belmont Historical Society is presenting "Growing Up in Belmont" at 1 p.m. at the Beech Street Center. Take anostalgic look at Belmont in days gone by. The audience is encouragedto participate by bringing photos of their own experiences growing up inBelmont.
3. Belmont's Benton Library Pre-School Story Time is back beginning at 10:30 a.m. For children ages 2 1/2 to 5, this event features stories, word plays, and other activities. Siblings are welcome; parents or caretakers must be in attendance throughout the session. Registration is not required.
4. Drop-in yoga classes, taught by professional instructors in the Vinyasa style – flowing with the breath – will be held in Gardner Hall (enter via Alexander Street) of the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St., beginning at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Bring your own mat. Childcare is available for $6 per child with a $12 family maximum. There is also free parking on Pleasant and Leonard streets and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit the Plymouth Nursery School.
5. On this day 65 years ago in 1947, the Princess Elizabeth marries Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten at Westminster Abbey. in London. A few years later, Belmont marked the occassion by naming part of Elizabeth Road, Philip Road. On a more serious anniversary, 50 years ago in 1962, the Cuban Missile Crisis ends as the Soviet Union agreeing to remove its missiles from Cuba.