5 Things You Need to Know Today: November 8
Girls' Soccer in the city of sin, High School premier of "Carol" and Jen talking about her novel.
1. The Belmont High School Girls' Soccer head to Lynn's Manning Field to take on Newburyport High in a Div. II North semi-final playoff match at 5:30 p.m. Give yourself plenty of time to drive to "Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin" as it will be during rush hour, in the rain and snow and finding Manning Field without a GPS locator is daunting to say the least.
2. Belmont High School's Performing Arts Company under the direction of Christorpher Brindley presents the High School world premier of "A Christmas Carol" at 7 p.m. in the Belmont High School auditorium. Get your tickets early and online for this outstanding show.
3. Author Gish Jen will discuss her most recent novel, "World and Town," at 7:30 p.m. in the Assembly Room of the Belmont Public Library. Jen's novels often portray individuals, families, and entire communities struggling with questions of race, religion, and upbringing and what it means to identify as American. This talk is co-sponsored by the Friends of the Belmont Public Library and the Belmont Human Rights Commission. Books will be available for sale and signing.
4. Infant Lapsit Storytime is for infants and pre-walkers. Enjoy songs, finger plays, and rhymes chosen especially for our littlest readers in the Flett Room (across from the Children's Room) from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Belmont Public Library.
5. Yoga tonight in Gardiner Hall at Plymouth Congregational Church at 582 Pleasant St. at 7 p.m. (Enter on Alexander Street). Taught by professionals in the Vinyasa style. Bring your own mat. All levels welcome. $10 per class. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School