5 Things You Need to Know Today: October 10
PTO meeting, puppet making and field hockey at the Harris.
1. There's no better way to know what's happening at Belmont High School then by attending this month's Parents Teachers Organization meeting in the High School's library at 7:30 p.m. Belmont High's Principal Dan Richards will talk about accredidation, the new way teachers and administrators are evaluated and this year's goals.
2. The last session of the "Learn to Make Hand Puppets’" class occurs today at 1 p.m. at the Beech Street Center. Make puppets from ordinary materials. Taught by master puppet maker and Belmont neighbor David Duntan. Paper clay (premixed paper mache) for faces, as well as yarn and cloth is supplied. This program is free of charge.
3. Come see the young Belmont High School Field Hockey team battle for a playoff spot as they take on Burlington High School under the lights at Harris Field at 6 p.m.
5. It's Wednesday and so is the scheduled early release day for the entire Belmont School District. Below are the times for the schools.
• Burbank, Butler and Wellington: 1:40 p.m.
1/2 Day Kindergarten: 11:55 a.m.
• Winn Brook: 1:50 p.m.
1/2 Day Kindergarten: 12:05 p.m.
• Chenery Middle School: 1:15 p.m.
• Belmont High School: 1:25 a.m.
5. On this day in 1871, the Great Chicago Fire, which started when a cow in Mrs. O'Leary's barn knocked over a lamb, finally is put out after two days. Two years and a month later, the Great Boston Fire was just as destructive and cost more money but because it was second to Chicago, it is largely ignored.