5 Things You Need to Know Today: October 17
Maya calendar, College Fair and early release today.
1. One Book One Belmont presents Alexandre Tokovinine of Harvard's Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology who will present a talk on "Time and the Ancient Maya." As the end of a major Maya time cycle in December, 2012, prompted speculation about the end of the world, Tokovinine will discuss what the ancient inscriptions tell and do not tell about this date and how modern western concepts of time may differ drastically from the indigenous world view. The talk will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Belmont Public Library's Assembly Room.
2. The Wenner Field House is transformed tonight from a sports location to a college recruiters dream as Belmont High School hosts its annual College Fair from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Nearly 120 colleges, universities, military options and other post graduate schools will be represented. While 10th, 11th or 12th graders are encouraged to attend, parents can view what's out there for their younger children.
3. “Get the most out of your digital camera,” or “Photoshop Elements for Digital Photos" are taught on Wednesdays by appointment, with Instructor David Ching at the Beech Street Center. Call 617-993-2970 for an appointment for any of these tutorials.
4. Storytime for 1's is for walkers and toddlers under 24 months who get to share simple stories, songs, finger plays, nursery rhymes and puppets. The fun starts at 10:30 a.m. in the Flett Room across from the Children's Room at the Belmont Public Library.
5. It's Wednesday and so is the scheduled early release day for the entire Belmont School District. Below are the times for the schools.
• Burbank, Butler and Wellington: 1:40 p.m.
1/2 Day Kindergarten: 11:55 a.m.
• Winn Brook: 1:50 p.m.
1/2 Day Kindergarten: 12:05 p.m.
• Chenery Middle School: 1:15 p.m.
• Belmont High School: 1:25 a.m.