5 Things You Need to Know Today: September 14
Opening event of One Book, One Belmont, playtime, football and Abby's getting married.
1. The opening event of One Book One Belmont gets underway with the reception at the Belmont Gallery of Art for the exhibit by artist Lee Strasburger called "Anatomy of Melancholy." The reception is from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the gallery, located on the third floor of the Homer Building in the Town Hall complex, at 19 Moore St. Haunting landscapes and seascapes by Strasburger reflect the mood of "The Leftovers," the novel by Tom Perrotta that was selected for this year's One Book One Belmont program. The exhibit runs through Friday, Oct. 19.
2. Children's Room Playtime is back from taking the summer off! It is the drop-in, informal playgroup for toddlers and preschoolers, where both children and adults can meet new friends. The fun goes from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Call the Children's Room at 617-993-2880 with any questions.
3. Jo, Marmee and tragic Beth will be there as the senior book discussion group discuss the popular novel "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott. The hour-long discussion gets under way at 11 a.m. at the Beech Street Center (the Belmont senior center).
4. Belmont Marauders football is once again on the road as they travel up the road to Bedford to take on the Buccaneers at 6:30 p.m. It's so close, so go out and support the boys this year.
5. Patch Assistant Regional Editor Abby Jordan – who has been with the company as long as this editor – is getting married in her native New Hampshire on Saturday. Belmont Patch wishes Abby and Zack the happiness they desire and the joy of being together.