Belmont Fire Log: To Whom It May Concern; Don't Use the Heat
Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.
Cooking from afar
Feb. 17 – Just after 11 a.m., Ladder 1 was sent to Weber Road to help a tenant who locked themselves out of their house all the while having food cooking on the stove top. A few crew members forced open the door and a smoking frying pan was placed out into the backyard.
Malfunctioning burner burns
Feb. 18 – A little past a quarter after 8 a.m., all companies – Engines 1 and 2, Ladder 1 and Rescue 1 – were sent to Gilbert Road for a fire in a fuel burner/boiler due to a malfunction. Engine 1 shut down the unit and Ladder 1 assisted in removing smoke with a fan.
Outside looking in
Feb. 19 – Seven minutes past 4 p.m., fire personnel came to a Channing Road house to help a person who locked themselves outside.
Cooking with plastic
Feb. 22 – At a quarter to 4 p.m., Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were sent to Moraine Street to see why the fire alarm was going off at a multifamily dwelling. Fire alarm control panel indicated a first floor alarm activation while the crew from Engine 1 reported a light smoke condition in an apartment. Turns out the apartment tenant said he unintentionally burned plastic on a hot stove top.
To whom it may concern: Don't use the heat
Feb. 22 – A quarter after 7 p.m., the entire Belmont Fire Department rushed over to a Lexington Street house after they were told to investigate smoke in the building. Engine 1 and Rescue 1 arrived to find smoke on the first and second floors while Belmont Police entered through an unlocked side door on first floor and found no one inside. The Engine 1 crew found the fuel burner malfunctioning and a confined fire creating a great amount of smoke. The burner was shut down. Yet no one had a phone number for the owner so the department left a note on the front door informing the property owner of the incident, the problem with oil burner and to have a qualified technician service the unit.