Belmont Fire Log: Watched Pots Don't Start Fires
Emergencies and calls responded by the Belmont Fire Department.
Dec. 16 – Just before 3:30 p.m., Engine 2 was sent to a Chilton Street residency that was filling with smoke. Turns out that you shouldn't start a fire in the fireplace until you first open the damper.
No news is good news
Dec. 16 – Just after 9 p.m., Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were dispatched to the Belmont Media Center on Lexington Street after the dispatch center received an electronic alarm from the center. Turns out it was a false alarm as it was determined that the system malfunctioned.
Dec. 17 – Right at 9:30 a.m., all Belmont companies raced to the intersection of Davis and Trapelo after a passerby called 9-1-1 saying they saw a sudden cloud of "smoke" coming from a local business. Turns out what was rising from the roof of Franette's Dry Cleaners was actually steam from the cleaning process.
A watched pot never boils ... or starts a fire
Dec. 18 – At 10 'til 9 p.m., Engine 1 was sent to the town's tallest residential building to prevent a disaster in the making: crew members forced open an apartment's front door after the resident locked herself out, having left a meal cooking in the oven. Golden rule of fire safety: never leave food cooking unattended.
When ovens attack
Dec. 22 – At 11 past 10 a.m., the entire Belmont Fire Department was sent to a fire in a Locust Street two-family. Turns out the oven burst into flames. Fast action kept the fire from spreading. The offending kitchen utillity was shut down.