Fire Log: Water Pouring From Storage Area & More
Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.
Water main break down
Oct 14 – Early in the morning, just after 1 a.m., Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were sent to a business on White Street which has residential units attached. Police officers were already there as the crews came up the street. Once parked, they could first hear and then see a large amount of water flowing from a storage area. Firefighters were able to gain entry by forcing open a door where they found a main water pipe had separated from its attachment to the ceiling, activating the sprinkler head and it was gushing water. Companies shut down the main water flow and replaced the sprinkler head, then re-activated the water main putting the system back in service. Fire dispatch was able to leave a message with the building owner while Ladder 1 personnel informed
the residents in the attached building of the situation and to call 9-1-1 if there was an emergency.
Did I leave the water running?
Oct. 15 – Another early morning call the next day, this time at just after 2 a.m., once again too much water in the home. Firefighters were sent to a Pleasant Street two-family to find a bathroom sink overflowing which caused the heat sensor in the garage to go haywire, set off alarms. Crews shut down the circuit breaker as they removed the wet and now non functioning detector. Electricity was restored and system functioning as normal minus one heat detector in the shared garage.
Oct 15 – Later that same day, just after 6:39 a.m., crews were dispatched to a two-family on Hamilton Road for a gassy situation: turns out the gas stove was emitting a bit too much CO. The gas was shut off, the building ventilated and the stove was to be sent packing to the landfill later that morning.
I didn't touch it
Oct 17 – As the clock struck 4 p.m., Engine 2 and Ladder 1 took a trip to Brighton Street to investigate a fire alarm at a refrigerated biological storage firm. Turns out employees at the facility said as they were in the process of reducing the temperature in the building's "cold room," the sprinkler head activated "by itself." The surprised and wet employees then shut the main flow valve located in the sprinkler room. The fire commander at the scene informed the employees not to touch the sprinkler valve in the future. As the firefighters attempted to reset the fire alarm system, electronic sensors indicated a trouble in the system which needed to be repaired by the sprinkler company.
New and leaking
Oct. 17 – At a quarter past 6 p.m., Engine 1, Ladder 1 and a National Grid service truck were all sent to a Fairview Avenue two family to investigate what was reported as the odor of natural gas inside the dwelling. Turns out the first floor resident said her plumber installed a new gas water heater in her basement earlier that day. The Engine 1 crew reported smelling a slight odor of natural gas on the first floor yet got normal readings from their gas-sniffing instruments on the first floor and the basement. Ladder 1 reported no odor of natural gas and got normal reading on the second floor and the attic. The burner unit was shut down as a precaution. Companies performed a check of the houses to the immediate left and right and occupants reported no inside odor of gas. The first floor occupant called her plumber and requested that he check the hot water boiler for a second, and closer, time.