Fire Log: Gas Leaks Throughout Belmont
Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.
Gas on the street
Oct. 8 – Just before 7 p.m., Engine 1 and a command car were called to Hawthorne Street for what homeowners along the street have long complained as an ongoing problem with a gas leak. They said the odor has been such a problem that National Grid has been to the street several times. The fire crews checked the houses on the street if any gas entered the basements of the dwellings.
Over the limit
Oct. 9 – About 20 past 8 a.m., Engine 2 was sent to Clifton Street for a strong odor of natural gas outside a single-family house. Firefighters could smell the Mercaptan that is added to gas to identify it and their equipment read that gas at the gate box in front of the house was "over the limit." The crew immediately requested National Grid to get to the scene. Firefighters performed a check of nearby homes while telling residents about the gas leak on their street. The utility arrived and stayed on scene to handle the leak.
That sinking feeling
Oct. 9 – A quarter to 9 a.m., you would have been forgive if you thought you were in Florida on Frontage Road off Route 2. Fire companies were sent to the off ramp as a large sinkhole suddenly appeared on the access road to the highway.
Oct. 9 – At 5:20 p.m., Engine 1, Engine 2, Ladder 1, Rescue 1 and a command car were all sent to Van Ness Road to help a homeowner who was not feeling well after reporting a strong natural gas odor in her home. The crew from Engine 1 transferred the woman to Rescue 1 while National Grid, the natural gas utility, was called to the scene. Firefighters reported that there was no indoor natural gas odor and their equipment did not record any evidence of gas in the home. The possible cause of the owners illness was likely some sort of household chemical spill. Once outside, the homeowner felt better and then refused further care.
Elevator captures another resident
Oct. 10 – At half past 8 p.m., fire crews were once again sent to a Hill Road apartment building to get some poor person out of a stalled elevator that was stuck between the 6th and 7th floors. Fire companies powered down the elevator and then had to force their way into the elevator car. The victim was finally extricated and evaluated and was OK enough not to need the help of the EMTs. The management firm called the elevator company to come and service the faulty car "ASAP."
Stove goes wild
Oct. 11 – Half past midnight, Engine 2 and Rescue 1 were sent to Hamilton Road for a scary incident: the homeowner said that her gas stove pilot suddenly was pumping out an excessive amount of carbon monoxide. Arriving firefighters found high levels of natural gas throughout the house as they turned off the gas to the stove. The homeowner was evaluated by the crew from Rescue 1 and decided to drive herself to the hospital against the medical advice at the scene. The house was ventilated and CO readings were brought back to zero over time.
Oct. 13 – A quarter to 10 p.m., Engine 1 and a command car were dispatched to a large Trapelo Road condominium/apartment building for a steam leak. Turns out the leak was isolated to a single apartment. The on-scene commander
asked the property owner to show up and had him contact a qualified plumber to respond. Building representative arrived on scene and he was able to shut the main water feed/system down. The crew from Engine 1 assisted in closing the valve inside of the apartment. And with an electrical outlet in the immediate area of the steam leak, the building representative was told to have a qualified electrician check the outlet before letting residents use it.