Fire Log: Bolts Send Alarms Off Kilter
Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.
Aug. 15 – Twice in a day – once in the morning, the other time just before the end of the day – bolts from the sky played havoc with the alarm systems at two locations in Belmont. Just after 8 a.m., Engine 1 was sent to McLean Hospital when several fire alarms went off at the same time. Firefighters determined the alarms were activated after a lightning strike effected the campus' main security panel. Then about half past 11 p.m., Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were called to the Belmont Hill School's Morse Building for an alarm going off. But the fire alarm system reported "all systems normal" when firefighters checked the panel. Once again, lightning and a very heavy rain was the likely cause for the malfunction.
Next time, turn to '0'
Aug. 18 – Ten minutes past nine in the morning, a call came into the Belmont Fire Department concerning a gas leak in a Jeanette Avenue two family. But it appeared that someone living in one of the units left the gas on on their stove There was a strong odor of gas inside so the arriving companies ventilated the house.
Fire started in the starter
Aug. 18 – Minutes after 4 p.m., crews from Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were sent to a Lawndale Street driveway for a vehicle on fire. There was a small fire in the vehicle's engine compartment that was extinguished by the owner prior to the fire department arrival. It appears that the starter cable wire overheated and burnt the engine's insulation.