Fire Log: Double Tree Trouble
Incidents and emergencies handle by the Belmont Fire Department.
July 16 – Just after noon, the Engine 1 and a Rescue Truck was dispatched for a medical emergency at McLean Hospital where they found a downed scooter and a patient being loaded into an Armstrong Basic Life Savings ambulance.
July 16 – At 11:14 p.m., Belmont Fire assets were sent down to Woburn for a chemical spill after a gasoline truck roll over on Rt. 128. Belmont crews helped mitigate the incident.
Timber, part 1
July 17 – The Fire Department's Ladder 1 and a command car were sent to Chilton Street a quarter after 9 p.m. to investigate a reported fallen tree. The crews discovered that a tree limb fell onto a garage which appeared to have suffered minor damage around the gutter line while some branches extended to the house. Unable to detect any major damage, the commander at the scene requested that the the town's building inspector be notified to perform a more thorough check in the morning. The resident was told to use extreme caution in the backyard and yellow caution tape was used to prevent entry into the immediate area surrounding the fallen tree limb. The resident stated that he will call a tree service in the morning.
July 18 – Just after midnight, Engine 2, Ladder 1, and a command car were sent to a church rectory on Waverley Street after a wireless smoke detector had gone off. Because the building was unoccupied, firefighters got inside the building through an unlocked ground floor window. No smoke or fire noted throughout the structure. The fire alarm panel indicated a reset code and once it was used, the system was silenced. The command requested that the alarm company be notified that the system needed looking into.
July 18 – Just after the climax of last week's heaviest thunderstorm that rumbled through Belmont just after 6 p.m., staff at McLean Hospital called the fire department after they believed there was an issue with the master fire alarm box following the thunder and lightning storms. After analyzing the situation, the box was reset. The security staff was notified to contact their electric department for further direction if this occurs in the future.
July 18 – Belmont fire crews were sent to Arlington to assist their fire department after the community was victim to a strong microburst. Belmont was used to cover assignments, standby and move up.
Timber, part 2
July 18 – Fire personnel were sent to a Channing Road just after 7:30 p.m. after a large tree fell on the garage causing significant structural damage. A car was also damaged located inside the structure. The area was cordoned off with caution tape and the tenant was advised to stay out of the garage who contact the landlord about removing the tree and repairing to the garage.
Don't touch the controls
July 21 – Engine 1, Ladder 1 and a command car were dispatched to a Common Street boarding house just before 11 a.m. to investigate the fire alarm system going off. When they got there, a resident on the scene reported that after he burnt his lunch in the toaster oven, he decided to reset the fire alarm system prior to our arrival. The arriving fire companies found burning toast in the toaster on the third floor. The fire commander at the scene told the resident not to touch the fire alarm system in the future.