Fire Log: Plastic Bag The Cause For Alarm
Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.
May 9 – At 6:49 a.m., fire units were dispatched McLean Hospital on Mill Street. Burnt toast in the toaster was determined to be at the heart of the matter.
Pick up after yourself
May 11 – At 11:18 a.m., all Belmont companies were dispatched to a Bright Road home for a report of alarms sounding and smoke in the building. A slight haze greeted firefighters as they entered the basement and first floor area. The homeowner said she had an electrical upgrade performed the previous day. Belmont Municipal Light Department was requested to respond. But on further investigation, the culprit was discovered: a plastic bag was found melted on the furnace in the basement. The dwelling was ventilated.
Recipe: Leave cooking by itself
May 11 – At 5:16 p.m., Engine 2, Ladder 1 and a command car responded to a Clairemont Road home to investigate a fire alarm activation. On arrival Engine 2 investigated and found the smoke detector was accidentally activated because the owner had left some food cooking unattended.
May 12 – At 6:05 p.m., units were dispatched to Clover Street for what was a second floor bathroom exhaust fan that had overheated and burnt out. Electricity was disconnected to the unit.
That car is hot!
May 12 – At 6:06 p.m., Engine 1, Rescue 1 and a command car were dispatched to a Barnard Road for a reported car fire. The car’s driver said that her cars engine compartment began smoking when she arrived home. She also told fire personnel that her car recently had an oil change. Companies found the engine to be hot to the touch and no smoke or fire were noted. They quickly determined the problem to be an overheated engine. Engine 1 disconnected the car battery and the owner was informed not to attempt to start the car until a qualified automotive technician had checked it.