Fire Log: Step 1, Open Flue. Step 2, Don't Skip Step 1
Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.
The flue is what now?
April 23 – At 12:47 p.m., Engine 1, Ladder 1 and a command car were dispatched to a two-family on Gilbert Road for reports that alarms were sounding in house due to some smoke incident. On arrival, the crew from Engine 1 investigated and found that smoke was indeed inside the house. That condition usually happens when someone builds a fire and forgets to open the fireplace flue. A firefighter opened the flue and the dwelling was ventilated.
Gas in Waverley
April 25 – At 2:41 p.m., Engine 2 was sent to the corner of Church Street and Trapelo Road for what the fire department is calling an "ongoing issue": an outdoor gas leak. When they crews arrived, they smelled an odor of natural gas in the street and readings from their detection equipment indicated moderate levels in the area. Once again, National Grid was notified to respond and arrived on the scene shortly afterwards.
Hot and smoky
April 28 – Just after noon, fire crews were sent to a location on Coolidge Road for smoke coming from a Municipal Light Department manhole. It appeared that the electrical equipment was shorting out inside the entry. The Light Department responded to the Fire Department's call.