Spring Strawberries and Cream on Biscuits
Pair fresh strawberries with sugar, cream and buttermilk biscuits for a delicious Spring dessert.
"One must ask children and birds how cherries and strawberries taste." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I noticed the other day that our strawberry plants are beginning to grow and I already can't wait to pick them fresh from the garden. They are much smaller than the berries you get at the supermarket but they are sweeter and tastier. I immediately began to crave strawberry shortcake.
I stopped at the market and found some nice red ripe strawberries but there were no packages of shortcakes in sight. I thought about making my own (nah, too lazy). I looked at the angel food cake (nah, not one of my favorites). Then I wandered over to get the cream and there was my answer...buttermilk biscuits. Just pop open the can, throw 'em in the oven and cover 'em up with sweet strawberries and cream. Yum!
You can make this recipe even more simple by using refrigerated whipped cream instead of making your own.
Strawberries and Cream on Biscuits
- 7 cups of strawberries cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 buttermilk biscuits
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Combine strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl.
- Let it sit until a syrup forms, tossing occasionally.
- Prepare biscuits according to directions.
- Beat cream, vanilla extract and 3 tbsp sugar in a bowl until stiff peaks form. (You can make this ahead if you like.)
- Cut buttermilk biscuits in half.
- Place each biscuit bottom in a bowl.
- Top with strawberries and whipped cream.
- Place biscuit tops over the strawberries and cream.
- Dust biscuits with powdered sugar (if using).