TM Warrant Open Until Nov. 4: Your Chance at Change
The warrant isn't only for Town Meeting representatives.
The Warrant for the Special Town Meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 18, will be open until noon on Friday, Nov. 4.
That reaction is likely one that many Belmont residents if they are not one of the nearly 300 Town Meeting representatives; its sounds as if someone's going to be arrested at the end of the process.
But in reality, everyone in town should know that the warrant – the articles that will be voted on by the representatives – is available to all residents.
When Pam Makrides of Livermore Road wanted a ban on smoking in town parks last November, she collected the necessary signatures to amend Belmont's general bylaws and won an overwhelming victory.
If you are seeking to emulate Makrides' success, you have until Nov. 4 to submit a written citizen petition with the signatures at least 100 registered voters – the Town Clerk suggests getting 120 residents.
Interested? Visit the town's website or contact Kellie Hebert, the town's assistant town administrator at 617-993-2610 or via her email.
Below are important dates before the Special Town Meeting:
• Fri., Nov. 4 at Noon: DEADLINE: Proposed warrant articles due to Town Administrator’s Offic.
• Thurs., Nov. 3: Post Public Meetings with Town Clerk for any Board/Committee Reviews as necessary.
• Mon., Nov. 7: Draft Articles/Motions Distributed to Board and Committees for Review & Public Meetings (ie. Planning Board, Warrant Committee, ByLaw Review Committee)
• Mon., Nov. 7 to Thursday, Nov. 17: Hold Public Meetings by Boards/Committees as necessary.
• Thurs., Nov. 17: DEADLINE: Last day to hold Public Meetings by Boards/Committees, if necessary.
• Fri., Nov. 18: DEADLINE: Board/Committee revisions and comments on Articles due to Town Administrator’s Office by 4 pm.
• Tues., Dec. 6: Materials may be forwarded to the Town Clerks Office, in support or opposition to the respective articles - 300 copies must be provided.
• Tues., Dec. 13 by 4 PM: DEADLINE for all materials to be submitted to Town Clerk’s Office for mailing to Town Meeting Members.
• Tues., Dec. 20by 4 PM: DEADLINE for Power Point Slides, photos, e-docs to be submitted to Town Administrator’s Office for inclusion on the STM Presentation.
• Town Moderator’s Prep Meeting – Date TBD
• Wed., Jan. 18 7 PM: Opening Session of Special Town Meeting.
• Thurs., Jan. 19 7 PM: Special Town Meeting Continued, if needed.