What's Open, Closed on Martin Luther King Day in Belmont
Federal and state offices are closed but most businesses are open.
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day, whether you get to spend the holiday at home or at work.
While the holiday marking King's birthday is one of 10 holidays recognized by the federal government, the feds don't require employers to pay workers for this holiday from work. Businesses traditionally provide their employees with a paid holiday as part of a benefits package because most other employers do the same.
And according to the Massachusetts Secretary of State's office, business and commercial activities may operate as usual.
Closed today in Belmont:
• Belmont town offices
• Belmont Public Library
• Belmont Schools
• Post offices and regular deliveries.
• Bank offices; although some branches will be open in certain supermarkets.
• Many businesses will operate under its usual hours
• Retail stores
• Convenience stores
• Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open.
Curbside collection is delayed by one day due to the holiday.
• Buses will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on its regular weekday schedule.
• Red line trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.