1. As always, the day after a Monday holiday, scheduled trash pickup is delayed by a day. So put out your "Monday" garbage barrels out today.
2. A High School dropout, Donald Brown was told he would never walk again after a factory accident. Within 10 years after the incident, he graduated from Harvard Law School and walked across the country. Brown, whose story was told in his book, "The Morphine Dream," will speak at Belmont's Beech Street Center at 1:15 p.m. Learn how you can apply Brown’s life lessons to your own life or just come to meet an inspiring person.
3. Belmont Library cardholders can now check out a Netbook; patrons must be in high school or older; give the reference staff a valid library card and a photo ID or High School ID; and have library fines below $5. Check them out.
4. Sewer and drain relining work will occur in the Cushing Avenue area while National Grid will be finishing up work in the Claflin Street Municipal Parking Lot.
5. Edward Filene, the department-store entrepreneur and philanthropist, was born on this day in 1860. A store with his name was situated in Belmont Center for more than 60 years.