- Meet other families who speak your language and have children enrolled in ESL
- Learn about American schools and your school
- Learn about the PTA and how you can be involved in the school
- Ask questions!
English speaking families who want to attend to support the new families are welcome as well.
2. The Benton Library, Belmont's independent, volunteer run library, will be holding a poetry reading on Friday, Oct. 4, at 6 p.m. during its "First Friday" extended hours when the library stays open until 8 p.m. Donations will be requested to benefit the Bulgarian Cultural Center.
3. Fred Silva will attempt to "light your fire" as he performs his musical program celebrating the Doors to the Beech Street Center, 266 Beech St. at 1:15 p.m. singing the repertoire of this incredibly famous group led by the best front man, Jim Morrison, from the 1960s and 70s.
4. Playtime is a drop-in, informal playgroup for toddlers and preschoolers, where both children and adults can meet new friends takes place in Belmont Public Library's Children's Room at 10:30 a.m. Call the Children's Room at 617-993-2880 with any questions.
5. On this day in 1960, Eastern Airlines Flight 375, a four-engine prop, crashed into Winthrop Bay while attempting to take off from Boston's Logan Airport. 62 people died and 10 people survived. It was determined that starlings were ingested into the engines causing them to be damaged. It was the first fatal commercial airline accident at Logan.