1. The Community Preservation Committee will be holding a public meeting at 7 p.m. in the Belmont Gallery of Art on the third floor of the Homer Building (in the Town Hall complex) where those seeking to use part of the CPC's $2.6 million funding pool for 2014 projects will make presentations concerning their applications.
2. As part of the series, "Go Digital @ Your Library!" the Belmont Public Library is holding the second session which features on the Kindle and Kindle Fire at 3 p.m. in the Flett Room. There will be an overview of Overdrive and Zinio for downloading free e-books and magazines. No experience necessary for participants; just bring your portable device if you own one. The class is free. Space is limited, so register at the reference desk or register online.
3. Duplicate Bridge Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Beech Street Center at266 Beech St. Every Wednesday the club holds American Contact Bridge League-sanctioned games. All are welcome to play. Cost is $5. Phone: 339-223-6484 for more information.
4. The Beech Street Center's arthritis exercise class, which resumed on Monday, Oct. 7, is part of a 16 session series that runs each Monday and Wednesday from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Center. The teacher, Muira Flynn, is a wellness professional with a B. S. In health science and 23 years of teaching experience. Cost is $45 for the 16 sessions (same cost as last time) so sign up today so you don't miss any more classes.
5. On this day in 1962, John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth, landed safely in the Atlantic Ocean.