1. Meet the Belmont Police Department's newest member, "Grim," the Department’s first ever K-9 officer, at 1:30 p.m. at the Beech Street Center. The program will include live demonstrations with handler Belmont Police Officer Cory Taylor.
2. The Belmont Public Library's Children's Room is holding Storytime for 2’s and 3’s. Due to overwhelming popularity, this storytime is offered both at 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. Bring your little ones for stories, songs, and more. Both programs will take place in the Flett Room, across from the Children's Room.
3. Coming off a 4-0 victory at Arlington on Friday, Belmont High School Field Hockey (3-2-0) takes on Woburn High in Middlesex League action under the lights beginning at 6 p.m. on the bumpy turf of Harris Field.
4. Belmont seniors sure like Beethoven: Due to a high level of demand, a second bus from the Beech Street Center to the three concert series of the Boston Symphony Orchestra has been added The concerts are on Thursdays, Oct. 10, Nov. 21, and March 27, 2014. If your interested in attending, please call and leave a message for Dena 617-993-2977, as well as bringing in a $95 check made out to the "Town of Belmont" which includes transportation from the Beech Street Center or Hurd Field in Arlington.
5. Today is the birthday of two icons of their generation: on this day in 1896, the jazz-era's greatest novelist, F. Scott Fitzgerald, was born in St. Paul; 40 years later, in Greenville, Mississippi, Jim Henson, the creator of the Muppets, was born. Both died too soon; Fitzgerald at 44, Henson at 53.