1. The BelmontCouncil on Aging's Annual Ice Cream Social takes place at the Beech Street Center. This yearly event is open to the public in which Belmontians and their children and grandchildren are especially encouraged to attend. Ice cream will be served at 1:30 p.m.; entertainment will start at 2:30 p.m. The entertainment this year will be the Mad Science’s show “Up, Up You Will and Away!” It introduces the principles of air and pressure, hot-air balloons, vortex generators and even a hovercraft. The Social is open to the public.
2. At 10:30 a.m., Lloyd Ellison will lead Benton Library's Pre-school Story Time, a 45-minute program geared toward children between 3 and 5. It features a variety of stories, as well as music, finger plays and/or a craft. Parents and caregivers must remain with their preschooler during the program. Sign up is not required.
3. Morning yoga, taught by professional instructors, is being held this morning from 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. at the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St, in Gardiner Hall, at the back of the church. $10. All levels welcome just bring your own mat if you can. $6 per child for child care. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
4. Today ends the summer hours at town offices in which departments close at 1 p.m. on Fridays. Starting next week, those offices will remain open until 4 p.m. on Fridays.
5. Today is the 95th birthday of Hall of Famer and Boston Red Sox giant Ted Williams ("The Kid" and "The Splendid Splinter") who was born in San Diego.