1. It is early release Wednesday for all schools in the Belmont School District: 10:30 a.m. for High School, 11 a.m. for Chenery Middle School and 11:40 a.m. for elementary schools with the exception of the Winn Brook which releases at 10 minutes until noon.
2. The Belmont Book Discussion group will meet at 3 p.m. in the Flett Room to discuss "The Sense of an Ending," by Julian Barnes. Everyone is welcome to attend. Copies can be requested through the library catalog or call the library Reference staff for assistance at 617-993-2870.
3. Storytime for 1's is for walkers and toddlers under 24 months. Share simple stories, songs, finger plays, nursery rhymes, and puppets in the Flett Room in the Belmont Public LIbrary beginning at 10:30 a.m.
4. Duplicate Bridge Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Beech Street Center every Wednesday. The club holds American Contact Bridge League-sanctioned games in which all are welcome to play. Cost is $5. Phone: 339-223-6484 for more information.
5. On this day in 1851, the first edition of The New York Times was published and in 1917, The Honolulu Ad Club patents the ukulele.