1. The Senior Book Discussion group is meeting at 11 a.m. at the Beech Street Center (the Belmont senior center), 266 Beech St, to discuss the great novel, "My Antonia," by Willa Cather.
2. Playtime is a drop-in, informal playgroup for toddlers and preschoolers that meets from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. in the Children's Room of the Belmont Public Library, where both children and adults can meet new friends. Call the Children's Room at 617-993-2880 with any questions.
3. A quiet place to get away from it all: The Benton Library, at the corner of Old Middlesex and Oakley, is open from 10 a..m to 1 p.m. today; it's air conditioned and has Wifi service.
4. Summer is just about done so the Belmont Public Library will be open Saturdays from 9 am to 5 pm. and Sundays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. beginning Oct. 20.
5. On this day 199 years ago, in 1814, in a turning point in the War of 1812, the British fail to capture the port of Baltimore. During the battle, Francis Scott Key composes his poem "Defence of Fort McHenry", which is later set to music and becomes, "The Star-Spangled Banner", the United States' National Anthem.