1. It's the first day of school in Belmont: Take your time driving through town today as the roads will be filled with kids especially near the town's six schools. In addition, today is an early release Wednesday so students will be getting out of class about an hour early. There is no kindergarten classes today, the youngest come back tomorrow.
2. One final reminder: trash pick-up is pushed back a day due to the Monday Labor Day Holiday: Today is "Tuesday" in the world of curb side garbage and recycling collection.
3. Today from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Beech Street Center at 266 Beech St., there will be a free hearing test for all residents and if needed your hearing aid batteries can be replaced. Mass Audiology offers this service free of charge to all participants. Make your appointment by calling 617-993-2970 or by stopping by the front desk.
4. Duplicate Bridge Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Beech Street Center every Wednesday. The club holds American Contact Bridge League-sanctioned games in which all are welcome to play. Cost is $5. Phone: 339-223-6484 for more information.
5. On this day in 1998, Google is founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two students at Stanford. Also today is Newspaper Carrier Day which honors 10-year-old Barney Flaherty, the first newspaper carrier (paperboy) hired by the New York Sun in 1833, as well as all current newspaper carriers.