1. Those who observe the high holiday of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, will be fasting today until after sunset. The proper greeting to those who are participating in the observation is to wish them "an easy fast," and not "Happy Kippur."
2. The Belmont Garden Club will be holding a Flower Design Workshop from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Assembly Room of the Belmont Public Library.
3. It's Wednesday and so is the scheduled early release day for the entire Belmont School District. Below are the times for the schools.
• Burbank, Butler and Wellington: 1:40 p.m.
1/2 Day Kindergarten: 11:55 a.m.
• Winn Brook: 1:50 p.m.
1/2 Day Kindergarten: 12:05 p.m.
• Chenery Middle School: 1:15 p.m.
• Belmont High School: 1:25 a.m.
4. For all those walkers and toddlers under 24 months out there, the Belmont Public Library is holding Storytime for 1's from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. in the Flett Room (across from the Children's Room) of the Belmont Public Library. Share simple stories, songs, finger plays, nursery rhymes and puppets.
5. Here's a head's up: The town will be collecting fall leaves and yard waste every week on your regular rubbish day between Oct. 22 and Dec. 6 if it is in trash barrels that are no greater than 32 gallons or more than 50 pounds and marked with two yard waste stickers provided by the Town or put in 30 gallon brown biodegradable paper bags; again not weighing more than 50 pounds.
Plastic bags will not be accepted.