1. Belmont's Powers Music School and Leader Bank welcomes spring with a free swing and jazz concert dubbed "A Little Swing" with the Jim Doran Band, an ensemble of Powers faculty members including Jim Doran, guitar; Peter Kenagy, trumpet; with guest artists Oscar Suchanek, drums; and Steve Skop, on bass. The recital, part of the bank's Neighborhood Concert Series, beings at 1 p.m. at the Beech Street Center, 266 Beech St.
2. This month's Second Friday Coffeehouse (yes, they know it's not the second Friday; tonight is a make-up date) will be Berklee Night at the Coffeehouse featuring a split bill with Paige Chaplin (that's her singing on the Youtube video) and Nikolas Metaxas, Berklee College of Music students who are clearly two up-and-coming stars of the future. Both Metaxas and Chaplin are multi-talented vocalists, instrumentalists, and composers, and each has an uncommonly appealing performance style. Come early because this concert could be sold out. The concert begins at 7:30 p.m. at The at 404 Concord Ave.
3. Baby signing with Rebekah Hand (Is there a better name for a person who is signing? I don't think so!) takes place from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. in the Belmont Public Library's Flett Room across from the Children's Room. Sign-up is required for this children's program so please stop by the Children's Room or call 617-993-2880 to do so.
4. Belmont's Benton Library Pre-School Nature & Animal Stories begins at 10:30 a.m. for children 2 1/2 to 5. This event features stories, word plays, and other activities. Siblings are welcome; parents or caretakers must be in attendance throughout the session. Registration is not required.
5. Drop-in yoga classes, taught by professional instructors in the Vinyasa style – flowing with the breath – will be held in Gardner Hall (enter via Alexander Street) of the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St., beginning at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Bring your own mat. Childcare is available for $6 per child with a $12 family maximum. There is also free parking on Pleasant and Leonard streets and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit the Plymouth Nursery School.