1. The curtain rises tonight for The , the second oldest community theatrical group in the country, as it presents "The Sound of Music”, the Rodgers and Hammerstein classic, at Belmont's historic auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Harriet Friedman directs with Sandy Kendall as music director. The production is filled with talented resident and kids from town. Come see your neighbors in the spotlight. Tickets are $25 for adults, $20 for senior and those under 18. Group rate for 10 or more is $20. For more information, call 617-484-6383 or go to their web site.
2. It's the final night to catch Belmont High School Performing Arts Company's Ten-Minute Play Festival, a series on short plays performed and directed by the school's theater students. The shows, which , will take place in 's Little Theater at 7:30 p.m. Tickets at the door but don't be late; the shows nearly always sells out.
3. It's the first day of's annual Rummage Sale. You want it, they've got it. Clean, "gently used" and pre-sorted clothing (women’s, men’s and children of all ages), household goods, toys, books, linens, shoes, CDs, jewelry and furniture. The bargains hunting gets underway at 5 p.m. and lasts until 8 p.m. Best of all, the proceeds from the sale benefits the church mission and charities.
4. It's Arbor Day and the students and staff of the on School Street will be planting an elm tree at noon. Hug one of the 20,000 mature trees in town.
5. It's Playtime at the . The event, from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., is a drop-in, informal playgroup for toddlers and preschoolers, where both children and adults can meet new friends. Call the Children's Room at 617-993-2880 with any questions.