1. Now in its 10th year, Meet Belmont was first organized to meet the needs of newcomers to Belmont, and now enjoyed by many longer-term residents as well, the event’s exhibitors represent town offices, schools, houses of worship, clubs, volunteer and service organizations and other community-based programs. From 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the .
2. Restore Your Smile. Thinking about dentures, the removable or fixed kind? Come to this program at the at 1 p.m. to learn about the ins and outs – no pun intended – of how dentures work and what to expect if you get them. Presented by Dr. Chang and Dr. Millstein of the Dental Restorative Group at Belmont.
3. The All Grades Summer Reading Contest at the has concluded! Complete your reading lists and and return them to the Benton – at the corner of Old Middlesex and Oakley – between today, Aug. 28 and Thursday, Aug. 30. Lists may be given to the librarian or put it through the slot in the front door. The person in each grade who has read the most books will receive a prize. Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Wednesdays and Thursdays, 2 p.m. - 7 p.m.
4. School may not officially open until next Wednesday but the sports season gets underway today at 3 p.m. as Belmont High Boys' Soccer is scheduled to take on Wayland High at Harris Field in a preseason game.
5. On this day in 1963, Martin Luther King, Jr. gives his I Have a Dream speech at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC. The speech comes eight years to the day of the murder of Chicago teenager Emmett Till in Mississippi.