1. It's the first day of winter. The official time of the winter solstice occurred when most of us were asleep at 12:30 a.m. Some forecasters are predicting a colder than normal winter but it starts sunny with temperatures in the 50s.
2. Before heading to the mall or downtown for that last minute gift, how about staying close to home and purchasing a gift certificate to a Belmont restaurant or buy a gift at Belmont business. And remember, at 53 Leonard St. has all things wearable bearing the name "Belmont."
3. at 404 Trapelo Rd. is now offers a great opportunity for anyone who's interested in getting started in beading. Today at 11:30a.m., the store is offering a free beginner beader class. Learn the difference between different beads, stringing materials, findings, etc. And of course, learn how to crimp.
4. Infant Lapsit Storytime, in which infants and pre-walkers can enjoy songs, finger plays, and rhymes chosen especially for our littlest readers, will be held in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Call 617-993-2880 with any questions.
5. A word to the wise: today's probably the best day to start defrosting that turkey.