1. The Belmont Public Library is holding its first Holiday Dessert Tasting and Recipe Swap from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Assembly Room. First off, you do not have to be a baker to attend; just come share your recipes and discover new ones. Everyone will be able to sample treats from fellow residents and take home copies of those recipes.
2. Michelle Caron of the Greater Medford Visiting Nurses Association will talk about Managing the Holiday Blues at the Beech Street Center beginning at 1:30 p.m. Come discuss feelings that occur during the holiday season and review the difference between the blues and clinical depression. This is an interactive program that reminds us we all can get stressed at holiday time and suggests coping strategies.
3. The Belmont High School Girls' Basketball team, which as started the season with two wins and no defeats, takes on Stoneham High (0-2 to begin the year) at the Wenner Field House at Belmont High School at 7 p.m. The past two years Stoneham has laid a thumping on the Marauders (59-45 two seasons ago and 64-38 last season) so expect some payback this time around.
4. Belmont's Benton Library Pre-School Story Time begins at 10:30 a.m. for children ages 2 1/2 to 5. This event features stories, word plays, and other activities. Siblings are welcome; parents or caretakers must be in attendance throughout the session. Registration is not required.
5. Drop-in yoga classes, taught by professional instructors in the Vinyasa style – flowing with the breath – will be held in Gardner Hall (enter via Alexander Street) of the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St., beginning at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Bring your own mat. Childcare is available for $6 per child with a $12 family maximum. There is also free parking on Pleasant and Leonard streets and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit the Plymouth Nursery School.