1. State Sen. Will Brownsberger's Chief of Staff Barbara Miranda will be holding office hours for the senator from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Beech Street Center. Stop by to discuss any issues or concerns or just to chat. If you would like to speak with Brownsberger but can't get to his office hours, you can always call him at 617-771-8274. You may also email or call me to make an appointment to meet or schedule a phone call with him.
2. Only two days remain to take part in the Belmont Gallery of Art's annual Small Works Holiday Show and Sale on the third floor of the Homer Building in the Town Hall complex. With all works priced lower then $200, the show gives shoppers the opportunity to purchase original art for themselves or as a gift while supporting local artists. All work presented in the show is available for sale. The gallery is open today from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. as well as Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
3. Belmont High School Boys' Basketball will be playing its home opener tonight at 7 p.m. at the school's Wenner Field House against Wakefield and their star, 16-year-old junior Bruce Brown, who is considered a sure bet to be a top college recruit. Belmont Boys' Swimming will be in the pool at 4 p.m. at the Wenner as they take on Central Catholic High School.
4. Yoga, taught by professional instructors, is being held this morning from 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. at the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St, in Gardiner Hall, at the back of the church. $10. All levels welcome just bring your own mat if you can. $6 per child for child care. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
5. Winter begins in Belmont today at 6:12 a.m. In Belmont, Australia – a suburb of Perth, the largest city and capital of Western Australia – the summer solstice begins at 7:12 p.m. It's warm there (see for yourself) about 75 degrees for the high yesterday.