1. Join members of the adult ensembles program for an afternoon concert at the at 1 p.m. Highlights include performances by members of the Chamber Wind Ensemble under the direction of faculty member Judith Bedford; and students of faculty member Jane Hershey performing selections on the Viola da Gamba. The program of solo and ensemble performances will span repertoire from the Baroque period to Beethoven.
2. The is pleased to host the Newton Art Association's 2012 James King Bonnar Award Show presenting the work of more than 60 NAA members. Founded in 1949 the Newton Art Association, now with a membership of 190 artists and art enthusiasts represents all visual arts media from drawing to sculpture. The gallery is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
3. Drop-in on a brand new Vinyasa-style yoga class, taught by professional instructors, at the , at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Please bring your own mat. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard and in the Claflin Street Parking Lot behind Belmont Center. The positioning will take place in Gardner Hall, at the back of the church – enter the hall from Alexander Street entrance. $10 for the session. Childcare is available for $6 per child. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
4. at 404 Trapelo Rd. is now offers a great opportunity for anyone who's interested ingetting started in beading. Today at 11:30a.m., the store is offering a free beginner beader class. Learn the difference between different beads, stringing materials, findings, etc. And of course, learn how to crimp.
5. On this day in 1980, The United States Olympic Hockey team completes its "Miracle on Ice" by defeating Finland 4-2 to win the gold medal.