1. A great school vacation event for the kids at the Belmont Public Library: The Ecology of Sound with Ricardo Frota – "The Forest Man" – is a wonderful music program for children in which Frota brings the sounds of the Brazilian rain forest with his music using traditional and native instruments including some he created on his own. The program takes place at 2 p.m.;
2. If you are a Belmont resident 60 or over, the Beech Street Center can provide rides to neighboring towns for the purpose of visiting family or friends at in nursing homes or rehab centers. The towns covered are Watertown, North Cambridge and Arlington. Lexington and Waltham are evaluated on an as-needed basis. Call the Center at 617-993-2980.
3. Yoga tonight in Gardiner Hall at Plymouth Congregational Church at 582 Pleasant St. at 7 p.m. (Enter on Alexander Street). Taught by professionals in the Vinyasa style. Bring your own mat. All levels welcome. $10 per class. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
4. "New/Old Group," a photography exhibit featuring the work of artists Elaine Fisher, Eric Myrvaagnes and A. David Wunsch at the Belmont Gallery of Art on the third floor of the Homer Building in the Town Hall Complex, will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Come see the exhibit before heading out for lunch or as a nice cultural event with the kids.
5. On this day in 1848, Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels publish The Communist Manifesto. Didn't work out as they thought.