1. "Why Most Estate Plans Fail, and What to Do About It" will be the timely topic presented by attorney David Rosen at a workshop being held today at the Beech Street Center at 1:15 p.m. Topics that will be discussed will include such touchy subjects as protection your child's inheritance in case of their own divorce, safeguarding your estate for your children if your surviving spouse remarries, preventing the loss of your home or life savings due to a long nursing home stay, preserving your legacy, values, family heirlooms for future generations and avoiding probate delays and expenses.
2. The 6-1 Belmont High School Girls' Basketball team, off and running to their best start in years, take on Winchester High School at Wenner Field House at Belmont High School at 7 p.m. Come see seniors Katie Leinbach, Olivia Lyons, Amari Bradshaw and Kate Zolner lead the team to another victory.
3. It's the first session of Storytime at the Benton Library of the New Year beginning at 10:30 a.m. There will be word plays, stories and activities for children ages 2 years, 9 months to 5 years. Parents or caregivers must be present for the entire session. Younger siblings may attend with their parents. The library will be open today from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
4. It's Storytime at the Belmont Public Library: Story time for 2's and 3's, songs and movement are part of the story time experience for children ages 2 and 3, will be held at the Belmont Public Library's Children's Room. The fun begins at 9:30 a.m. and then again (for you late risers) from 10:30 a.m. Storycraft for 4's, 5's, and 6's will be held at 3:15 p.m.
5. Drop-in yoga classes, taught by professional instructors in the Vinyasa style – flowing with the breath – will be held in Gardner Hall (enter via Alexander Street) of the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St., beginning at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Bring your own mat. Childcare is available for $6 per child with a $12 family maximum. There is also free parking on Pleasant and Leonard streets and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit the Plymouth Nursery School.